The Market Town of Aspatria
Aspatria is a Market Town located on the old Roman road between Maryport and Carlisle. It is one of seven towns that make up the district of Allerdale. Aspatria developed as a coal mining town in the 18th and 19th centuries, however, it remains a rural area and farming is still a key activity. In 1888, a group of dairy farmers formed the West Cumberland Dairy Company and built a creamery near Aspatria railway station. Over 170 dairy farms in the surrounding district now supply the creamery with milk and it is known for its Lake District Cheese. Sealy is the biggest bed brand in the world and has a manufacturing site in Aspatria and is the biggest employer in the town. There are two schools, Richmond Hill Primary and Beacon Hill secondary. Both serve the town and surrounding communities. Aspatria is also known for its 19th century Church of St Kentigern, on the site of a former Norman church. Within it is a carved Viking hogback tombstone and carved stones pre-dating the Normans. The churchyard has a holy well reputed to have been used by St Kentigern himself. Nearby, an ancient burial site discovered in the 18th century contained a skeleton, weaponry and gold ornaments.
Aspatria Town Council is made up of fifteen unpaid Councillors who meet on the third Tuesday of each month. There is also a Town Clerk, Responsible Finance Officer and Town Caretaker.A Parks & Allotments Sub Committee looks after the green spaces and parks reporting to the main Town Council.